Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Ring Doesn't Mean A Thing

When I got engaged one of the things I was happy about was no longer being a single girl in New York City. Now don’t get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with being single. I enjoyed the majority of my single life.  Even now, I sometimes have a hard time forgoing my single ways. But in my naïve mind I thought that getting engaged would end all of the foolishness that came with being a single woman.  I’m talking about getting hit on. I really believed that my engagement ring would be like a little protective bubble against idiots, assholes and hood dudes. Sadly, it’s not!
I was on my way home the other day and a guy approached me, actually he grabbed me. We’ll call him Never because even if I was single I would NEVER give him the time of day.  So anyway, Never takes it upon himself to touch me which is a big no-no. Forgive me, but I have a thing with strangers touching me.  Once he grabbed my hand my inner hood rat came out and I snatched my hand away and gave him the meanest look I could muster.  Never had the audacity to look at me like I did something wrong and say, “What’s wrong with you?” Did I miss something here? A complete stranger grabs me and then has the gall to question what’s wrong with ME! Hilarious! I began to tell him that 1) I didn’t appreciate him touching me and 2) I was engaged. He proceeded to tell me that he didn’t care about my man and that he bet he could “put it down” better than my man could. I snickered at him as I walked away which I guess wasn’t the reaction he expected. He then called me an uppity bitch. I just shook my head and continued walking.
When I got home I began to wonder what happened to chivalry and the respect of women and the institution of marriage. Why did I have to be a bitch because I didn’t want some random dude touching me? There have been so many times when I have been called out of my name because I didn’t want to give a guy my number or didn’t turn around with eyes of passion when the local mating call of “Ey Ma” was tossed my way. But I thought that the sparkling solitaire diamond on my finger would protect me from such attacks. I really thought that being engaged and married garnered more respect than just having a boyfriend. I was clearly mistaken. Men need to learn how to be men and respect women. The crazy thing is that these dudes that disrespect women and the institution of marriage would probably be the first ones ready to fight if someone hit on or disrespected a woman they cared about. We need to teach our young men how to be real men and not some caricature they see on TV. Maybe then the disrespect will come to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment