Friday, February 18, 2011

Yup….He’s the ONE!!

When I first announced my engagement to my friends and family I was met with mixed reactions. My parents were beyond happy for my FI (that’s bride shorthand for fiancé) and I. My biological father asked me if I was sure I wanted to get married o_O! But the main reaction I got was, “OMG!!!! I can’t believe YOU’RE getting MARRIED! How did you know he was the one?” Now some people would have gotten offended with such a reaction, but I understood where my friends were coming from. I mean honestly I can’t believe I’m getting married.

Let’s take a stroll down memory lane…or as my girls’ might say “The Walk of Shame”.

I didn’t date when I was in high school. My parents (especially my mother) were extremely strict when it came to dating. Blame it on the fact that my mother was pregnant with me at 19 or the fact that my father remembered how he was as a teenager. I don’t know the reasoning, but I do know that when I hit the ripe age of 16 my parents shut down all hope I had of having a boyfriend. Well fast forward to my first year in college and all of that changed because of one thing….F-R-E-E-D-O-M!! That’s right I was free and 900 miles away from the watchful eye of mommy and daddy. Please believe I made up for lost time. Between the ages of 19 and 26 I was rarely without a male “friend”. Notice I didn’t use the term “boyfriend” and for good reason. Most of the guys I became involved with were never boyfriend material. I began this downward spiral of emotional and mental destruction, choosing one guy after the next who I knew weren’t good enough for me.

**Side Note** There is such a thing as someone not being good enough for you. If you have goals and ambition and the person you are messing with is content with sitting on their momma’s sofa and mooching off of others, then that person is NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU!!!! END OF STORY! It took me a long time to get this through my head and internalize it. I’ll leave that to another blog post though.

Now, I didn’t come from a broken home. I didn’t have “Daddy Issues”. Yet I “dated” these random guys because….well because I could. There was no one there to stop me. At times my friends would hint at the fact that I was out of control, but then we would go back to partying and BSing. I was young and I wanted to have fun. Looking back on those years I see all of the mistakes that I made but they have made me the person I am today.

Dealing with all the random guys made it possible for me to know when I had the real thing. He was opposite of almost every other person I was with. Being with him made it easy to be me. When we talk, it’s like I am talking to a part of myself that I was missing. He made me feel whole! I know it sounds cheesy but what I am saying is biblically based. Genesis 2:21-23 – (21) So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. (22) Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. (23) The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.” When God made Eve he took something from Adam and placed it in her. Adam was incomplete without Eve and in turn without Adam, Eve was not where she was meant to be. That’s how I knew my FI was the one. I felt at home with him. I found where I needed to be. So yes, sometimes it’s still a shocker that I am getting married. But I can say without a doubt that he is the ONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment